Thursday, June 13, 2002

TODAY'S REQUIRED READING

Bruce Hill produced this essay on why we need not hate the Islamofascists.

Read it. It truly doesn't get much better than this.

Why do stories of military hardware provoke such a visceral thrill? We are talking about killing other humans, even if they are right-wing religious nuts. Why are we pleased that we can kill them faster and better than they can kill us?

Because it's good to know that the bad guys are going to get it before you do. Defence is moral. Pre-emptive defence is moral. When some loon tells me repeatedly that he wants me dead, demonstrates that he has the means and propensity to make me dead, then I bloody well expect my government and its allies to protect me. National Defence is the one use of tax dollars that all political thinkers agree is legitimate. Just because it's the US doing the shooting doesn't make it less so.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?