Sunday, June 09, 2002

Bruce Hill has pointed out the absurdity to which the US civil liberties posse has sunk.

I’ll reprint my comments to his post on the US decision to start fingerprinting visitors from nations KNOWN to harbour terrorists.

The truly amazing thing is that this wasn't in place before. Why does any sovereign state feel required to justify treatment of NON-citizens seeking the privilege of entry?

Citizens of any nation have the right to free movement within their own territory. International law is based on the premise that as soon as you cross the border, you are subject to the laws of wherever-you-are-now.

Not only should they not care, they should make it bloody clear that they don't care. If a country is known to harbour terrorists, then a BIG piece of the responsibility for that rests with the government of that country. And if the tin-pot dictators, generalissimos, Presidents for Life, or People's Revolutionary Committees don't like it, Hey! Stay home.

Comments:
This is a great post. I just had one of the ‘Doh!’ moments and ran back to correct my own site before publishing my comment. You see my own comment form did not match what I’m about to advice. I get less comment than you, so never noticed any problem. I’ve changed it now anyway so here goes.


study abroad

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?